Financial Guidance

Where you live, what you pay and what type of programs and services will be available to you, will depend on the province in which you live and the personal choices you make.


In Alberta, residents in supportive living and long-term care pay an accommodation charge to cover the cost of services such as rooms, meals, housekeeping and routine building maintenance.

Alberta Health regulates the maximum accommodation charge in long-term care and supportive living. In other types of settings, the accommodation charge is set by the operator.

Accommodation charges may be fully or partly covered for residents who are eligible for the Alberta Seniors Benefit or clients of the Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped.

To learn more about residential care charges click: http://www.health.alberta.ca/services/continuing-care-accommodation-charges.html

To learn more about financial support and services available to Albertans living in the community click: http://www.health.alberta.ca/services/continuing-care-system.html

British Columbia

Like other provinces, B.C. subsidizes home and community care. Costs vary depending on service, eligibility and income. For more information click: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/accessing-health-care/home-community-care/who-pays-for-care


In Manitoba, the cost of personal care home services is shared by the provincial government (Manitoba Health, Healthy Living and Seniors) and the client who needs the services. Manitoba Health, Healthy Living and Seniors pays the majority of the cost through the regional health authorities. Personal care home clients pay a daily charge based on income.

To learn more about personal care home charges click: http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/pcs/docs/guide.pdf

To learn more about home care and costs click: http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/homecare/faq.html

Nova Scotia

Home Care costs are based on income and the type of services provided. For more information click http://novascotia.ca/dhw/ccs/home-care.asp


In Ontario, Community Care Access Centres (CCAC) can assess whether your income can cover the cost of long-term care. Fees are the same across Ontario and are established by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC). The MOHLTC provides funding for homes and the amount you pay for, depending on your income and accommodation preferences, specifically whether you would like a private or a shared room, is called a co-payment.

If you can’t pay for basic accommodation, you may apply for a subsidy. To download form, click here.

For more information on co-payment rates click: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ltc/docs/ltc_home_co-payment_rates.pdf

For more information on home care click http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ltc/default.aspx


In Saskatchewan, long term care fees are set by the Ministry of Health. Fees are income tested, such that the amount a resident will pay will be determined by their monthly income. Residents’ accommodation charges may change on January 1 of every year depending on if the rate schedule changes. Rate schedules are adjusted on a quarterly basis to adjust for Old Age Security and Guaranteed Income Supplement. Additional charges for continence and other care supplies may apply.

To learn more click: http://www.saskatchewan.ca/live/health-and-healthy-living/manage-your-health-needs/care-at-home-and-outside-the-hospital/special-care-home-resident-charges